Parent Visas

If you are seeking information on the new Long Stay 870 visa for parents, please see this page

Australia Parent Visa

image of Australia parent visa

Australian Parent Visas are for overseas parents who have children who are citizens or permanent residents of Australia. There are two main categories of visas for parents wishing to migrate to Australia:

Australian Contributory Parent Visa scheme (expensive)

  • Contributory Parent Visa (143) (Offshore)
  • Contributory Aged Parent (864) (Onshore)

Australian Parent Visa

  • Aged Parent (804) (Onshore)
  • Parent (103) (Offshore)

The main criteria for both parent category visas are the same. However, applicants for the Contributory Parent visa are required to make a significant contribution to their future health and welfare costs. The Contributory visa category also offers temporary visas (173 and 884) valid for 2 years. Holders of a temporary Contributory Parent visas are able to subsequently apply for a permanent Contributory Parent visa (143 or 864).

The number of Parent visas that can be approved annually is capped, but there is more than 3 times the number of places for Contributory Parent Visa applicants than Parent Visa applicants and, Contributory Parent Visas have a higher processing priority.

You must be the parent of, and be sponsored by,  your child who is a settled Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. Applicants must meet the ‘balance of family’ test – see below.

In addition, the Public Interest Criteria (PIC) must also be met (Health and Character (Police Clearances)). An Assurance of Support (AoS) bond must be provided. This is usually organised through Centrelink and is requested by the Home Affairs during visa processing.

‘Settled’ is defined as having lived in Australia for a reasonable period, that is – at least 2 years.

“Balance of Family” Test (summary)

The number of children of the parent who are lawfully and permanently resident in Australia or are eligible New Zealand citizens usually resident in Australia is:
(i) greater than, or equal to, the total number of children of the parent who are resident overseas; or
(ii) greater than the greatest number of children of the parent who are resident in any single overseas country.

Aged parents: for men the qualifying age is 65 and 6 months years. This will increase to 66 from 1 July 2019.

To apply overseas or from within Australia?

Only the “Aged” parent visas can be applied for while inside Australia. That is, the parent or applicant (or at least 1 parent) must be over 65 years and 6 months old This increases to 66 from 1 July 2019. You must be inside Australia and holding a valid visa that does not have any conditions preventing another onshore application. Usually the condition preventing an onshore application is 8503 – No further Stay.

By lodging onshore you will be issued a Bridging Visa A and be allowed to remain in Australia while the parent visa is processed.

The following visas apply to onshore/Aged parent applications – 804 Aged Parent visa, 864 Contributory Aged Parent Visa and the 884 Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) Visa.

If you have a question or enquiry regarding this visa type, please complete the form below and we will get in touch with you soon.


Enquiry Form