Partner Visas

Australia Partner Visa

If you are in a relationship (including a same-sex relationship) with an Australian citizen, Permanent Resident or eligible New Zealand citizen then you may be able to apply for a Partner Visa.

There are 5 partner visas that are discussed in this article:

If you have a question or enquiry regarding this visa type, please complete the form below and we will get in touch with you soon.

The Partner Visa Process

With the exception of a couple who can establish that they have been in a ‘long-term partner relationship’, partner visa applicants must first obtain a provisional or temporary visa granting temporary residence (309 or 820 – depending on location). After two years after submitting, Home Affairs begins to assess the second stage visa (100 or 801).  Provided you meet further criteria (ongoing and genuine relationship), the permanent residence may be granted.

  • For this article, a ‘partner’ is someone that is married (spouse), or in a de facto relationship. There is no difference in the visa types applied for, only in the way you are eligible – as outlined below.
  • A ‘long-term partner relationship’ is defined as 3 years, or 2 years if there is a dependent child.

De facto (Partner) Visa Eligibility

The Partner Visa, also known as the de facto visa allows people who are in a relationship (including same-sex relationships) with an Australian citizen or Permanent Resident to emigrate to Australia. The relationship should have existed for a full 12 months before the applying for this visa. That is to be able to demonstrate that you have been living together for at least the 12 months prior to lodging your visa application.

Australia Partner Visas

Spouse Visa

For a Spouse Visa (also known as a Partner Visa), this is based on marriage, as opposed to a de facto partner relationship.  This also includes marriages of  the same-gender relationships. As a couple you must be legally married, be in a genuine relationship. You must also show you have a mutual commitment to a shared life to the exclusion of all others. Being married can “replace” the 12 month living together requirement strictly imposed on de facto relationships. You must still demonstrate you are in a genuine relationship despite being married.

migrate to Australia

Partner Visa Sponsorship

All people applying to migrate to Australia on a Partner Visa (whether they apply inside or outside Australia) must be sponsored. The sponsor gives a written undertaking to provide the applicant/s with support for their first two years in Australia, including accommodation and financial assistance as required to meet their reasonable living needs. You must be sponsored by an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen. The sponsor must be 18 years or over. Partner Visa applicants must also be sponsored by their partner in Australia. If the Australian partner is under 18 years of age, the applicant can be sponsored by their partner’s parent or guardian.

Like all migrants, partner visa applicants are assessed on an individual basis and they must be assessed against Australia’s health and character requirements.

partner visaProspective Marriage Visa (300)

The Prospective Marriage Visa allows the fiance/fiancee of an Australian citizen or Permanent Resident, to enter Australia on a temporary visa.

Essentially, you are engaged to be married at a point in time in the future.

This visa is valid for 9 months from the day it granted. You will be expected to travel to Australia, marry and then submit the onshore partner visa (820/801). You must do this within the 9 month validity of the visa.

There are additional fees to when you apply for the Prospective marriage visa (300) and then a partner visa (820/801). This is as opposed to applying straight away for a partner visa. Sometimes though it is unavoidable.